Recipe by: Vidya Khader
Source: Vidya Khader
- 2 cups Idli/Dosa rice
- 1 cup urad dal (black gram, skinned whole or split)
- ¼ tsp fenugreek seeds
- Water, as required
- Salt, to taste
- Rinse and soak rice and black gram separately
- Add fenugreek seeds to black gram. Soak for 4 – 6 hours.
- Drain the soaked black gram and reserve the water
- Grind black gram and fenugreek seeds with some of the reserved water until you get a smooth and fluffy batter.
- Grind the rice to make a smooth batter. Mix both batters together in a large bowl. Cover and let the batter ferment at room temperature for 8 – 9 hours.
- After the fermentation process, the batter will double in size and rise. Add salt and gently mix the batter. It is now ready for use.
To make Idlis
- Grease idli moulds with a little oil
- Pour the batter into the moulds. Steam the idlis in a pressure cooker or steamer. If using pressure cooker, remove the vent/whistle.
- Steam for 8 – 10 minutes on medium flame, and for another 5 mins in low flame. Stand for a few minutes before removing from moulds and serve with chutneys and sambar
To make Dosas
- Add one cup of water to the above batter and mix well. The batter should have a smooth consistency, thick but still flowing.
- Heat an iron griddle or tava. Smear with oil (ghee) lightly. Take a spoon or ladle with the batter and gently spread the dosa in circular rounds. If using non stick pan, avoid smearing oil on it, since it will not be easy to spread the dosa batter properly on the non stick pan.
- Drizzle oil (ghee) on the top and sides and let one side cook.
- When one side of dosa is browned, flip and cook the other side.
Download PDF here: South Indian Idli & Dosa Vidya Khader