Recipe by: Afsana Verma
Source: Various websites
Serve with vegetable raita (curd) and pickles
- 500 g marinated chicken / mutton, with bone
- 4-5 red onions, sliced and caramelized
- 3 Tbsp milk
- Pinch of saffron
- 1 Tbsp ghee (clarified butter), see photo in attached file
- ½ cup wheat flour
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped, for garnish
- ½ tsp biryani masala
- ½ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ginger garlic paste
- Pinch of turmeric powder
- 2 Tbsp yogurt
- 2 green chilies, chopped
- Fresh coriander leaves, chopped
- 4 Tbsp oil
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 2 cups basmati rice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 Tbsp oil
- Mix all of the marinate ingredients.
- Mix in with the chicken / mutton and marinate in the fridge 6-7 hours.
- Soak the rice for 20 mins before cooking.
- Boil 3 cups of water in a pot. Add the salt, bay leaf and oil.
- Add rice and boil until half cooked, ~ 10 min. Strain the rice.
- Soak the saffron in the milk.
- Add the marinated chicken / mutton to the base of a deep pot.
- Put the half cooked rice on top of the marinated chicken / mutton as the 2nd layer.
- Spread the caramelized onions on top as the 3rd layer.
- Pour the saffron milk evenly on top.
- Put blobs of ghee all over.
- Seal the lid on top with dough (made from the wheat and flour 4 -5 Tbsp water) to ensure the steam does not escape the pot.
- Cook on a high flame for the first 5 mins, then let cook for 15 mins on low flame.
- Place a flat pan between the pot and the gas and cook for 20 mins more.
- Serve with vegetable raita (curd) and pickles.
Download PDF here: Indian Chicken or Mutton Dum Biryani Afsana Verma