Recipe by: Geraldine Pelissier
Source: Family recipe
Serves: 4 – 6
- 1 sprig of thyme
- 1 bay leave
- 1 clove of garlic
- Salt, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 litre of chicken broth or beef broth / alternatively 1 chicken stock cube in 1L water
- 50g butter
- 100ml dry white wine (muscadet/sauvignon)
- 1 kg of onions
- Add grated emmental cheese, bread croutons / hard bread and grill under the oven
- Peel and cut onions in small cubes (about 1cm)
- In a frying pan, melt the butter and sweat the onions, without making them change color for 10 min. They should just begin to soften.
- Deglaze the onions with white wine until it reduces to half.
- Add the chicken broth
- Depending on the saltiness of the broth, taste and season with salt, if necessary.
- Add thyme, bay leaf and garlic (cut into half) and simmer for 40 to 50 minutes
- Add pepper towards the end of the cooking
- Serve warm with croutons
Bread croutons can be made with 1 or 2 day old baguette cut into slices slightly buttered for a few minutes under the grill of the oven.
Download PDF here: French Onion Soup Geraldine Pelissier