Recipe by: Geraldine Pelissier
Source: adapted from a Thermomix recipe
Serve with tagliatelles, boiled potatoes, Gratin dauphinois or rice
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 200- 250g onions (~ 2-3 onions) sliced
- 800g stewing beef, cut into 3-4 cm cubes (for stewing: chuck roast, round roast)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 150g of bacon (with lard)
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed and thinly sliced
- 400g of sliced carrots (~ 6-8 carrots)
- 500 ml of red wine (preferably Bordeaux, Burgundy or a Cotes du Rhone – full bodied wine )
- 200 ml water
- 200g of button mushrooms (quartered or halved, depending on size)
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 pinches of pepper
- 1 bouquet garni of thyme, laurel and parsley *see photo
- 2 tbsp corn flour (optional, for thickening)
- Fresh Italian parsley (optional, for garnish)
- Heat the oil and sear the beef cubes for 3 min with some plain flour in a non-stick pan- color all sides.
- In a cooking pot (or a slow cooker) under medium fire, add the beef, onions, bacon and garlic.
- Add red wine and top up with just enough water to cover the meat.
- Add the bouquet garni, salt and pepper
- Cook for 10 min, then add the carrots and cook for another 40min
- Add mushrooms and cook for another 30min.
- If you find the sauce too watery, remove it and separately, add the corn flour to thicken the sauce
- Serve hot with chopped italian parsley as garnish (optional).
* This dish is best cooked the day before.
Download PDF here: French Beef Bourguignon Geraldine Pelissier