Recipe by: Tracie Fitzpatrick
Source: Tracie recreated this dish based on memory from tasting at a restaurant in Mexico
Ingredients (Chicken Mole)
- 2 dried chili peppers*, crushed
- 2 Tbsp sunflower oil
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs, skins removed (Tracy used both thighs and breast)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 50 g raisins
- 2 Tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 2 Tbsp chipotle paste**, see photo
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 25 g dark chocolate (look for one with at least 70% cocoa, Green & Black’s brand, see photo, is Tracie’s favorite)
- 1 small red onion, sliced into rings
Ingredients (To Serve)
- Juice 1 lime, plus extra wedges to serve
- 150 ml pot sour cream
- Handful of cherry tomatoes, halved
Ingredients (Coriander Rice)
- 600 g long grain rice, cooked
- large bunch coriander, finely chopped
- Zest of 2 limes and juice of 1 lime
- “I add loads of paprika and chili powder plus pure lime juice” – add these ingredients in amounts to your taste
- Dry cook spices for a few seconds in a pot, then add the chicken with oil and cook until brown.
- Add all other ingredients, cover, and cook for 2 hours minimum (better if can be cooked overnight if you have a slow cooker).
- To make the coriander rice, toss the cooked rice with the coriander, lime zest and juice and paprika and chili powder (and extra lime juice) to your liking.
- Serve the chicken mole with the coriander rice, lime wedges, tomatoes halves and sour cream.
* Or buy Ancho peppers (dried Poblano peppers) online, better than chili peppers.
** Can find chipotle paste at specialty grocery stores like Jason’s in Ion.
Download PDF here: Mexican Chicken Mole with Coriander Rice Tracie Fitzpatrick