Recipe by: Gurveen Khurana
Source: adapted from a family recipe
Serve with rice
- 1 kg chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 ½ cups coconut (can use dry coconut, but soak in water for 1 ½ hours before)
- 1 ½ Tbsp ginger, paste or chopped
- 1 ½ Tbsp garlic, paste or chopped
- ½ cup fresh coriander
- 3 medium red onions, chopped
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 Tbsp garam masala
- 1 ½ Tbsp cumin seeds
- 1 Tbsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp red chili powder
- 2 Tbsp dried fenugreek leaves*
- ~ 4 cups water
- In a food processor combine the soaked coconut (water drained), ginger, garlic, coriander and about 1-2 Tbsp of water. Blend and make a paste.
- Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds. Let them pop and spatter for two minutes. Add onions and fry until they change color to pink-brown. Add coconut paste (above), garam masala and 1 cup of water. Let cook for 5 mins.
- Add salt, turmeric, red chili powder and fenugreek leaves to the coconut and spice mixture. Let cook for 5 mins.
- Add chicken cubes and cook.
- Add ½ to 1 ½ cups of water stir and cover.
- Serve with rice.
* Fenugreek is an annual plant in the family Fabaceae, with leaves consisting of three small obovate to oblong leaflets. It is cultivated worldwide as a semiarid crop, and its seeds are a common ingredient in dishes from the Indian subcontinent.
Download PDF here: South Indian Malwani Chicken Gurveen Khurana