Recipe by: Gurveen Khurana
Source: Gurveen Khurana
Serve with rice
- 1 ½ cup peanuts
- 1 ½ cup dried coconut flakes
- 1 Tbsp tamarind paste
- 9 baby eggplants
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp mustard seeds
- 20 curry leaves
- 1 ½ Tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 ½ Tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 ½ tsp Garam masala
- 1 Tbsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Roast the peanuts on a hot pan until brown. And the coconut and roast a few mins longer.
- Blend the peanuts / coconuts in a food processor. Reserve for the sauce.
- Soak the tamarind paste in 2 cups of water for 30 mins – 1 hour.
- Blend in a food processor. Reserve for the sauce.
- With a sharp knife make a cross incision on the bottom of the eggplant. Fry the eggplants in one pot with 2 Tbsp olive oil turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile In a separate pot heat 1 Tbsp of olive oil and fry the mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Add the ginger, garlic, onions, peanut paste, ¼ cup of water, the garam masala, coriander powder and the turmeric. Fry until the onions change color to pink / brown while stirring.
- Add the coconut peanut sauce, ½ cup water, the tamarind mixture and the cooked eggplants.
- Cover and cook for a further 10 mins on low heat.