Recipe by: Mai Hanaki Brodersen
Source: Mai Hanaki Brodersen
Serves: Makes 4 rolls. 32 pieces of sushi
Ingredients (Sushi Rice)
- 3 cups Japanese rice (cook with 3 cups water)
- 5 Tbsp of Japanese vinegar
- 4 Tbsp of sugar
- 1 ½ tsp of salt
- 4 sheets nori (seaweed sheets)
- 3 cups sushi rice (see above)
- 8 teaspoons of Tobiko* (flying fish roe)
- 8 shrimps (cooked, shelled, tails removed)
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted and sliced into 8)
- 1 Japanese cucumber (thinly sliced)
- Filling variations: sashimi grade tuna or salmon, Japanese omelette* (all 3 cut into strips), canned tuna with mayonnaise
Instructions (Sushi Assembly)
- Lay one nori sheet on a Makisu (rolling mat) and put sushi rice on it.
- Spread rice over and leave 2 cm of bare nori (step 1 above).
- Place 2 tsp Tobiko on center of rice, spread lengthwise (see photo, step 2).
- Lay 2 shrimps (or a few salmon sashimi strips) and ¼ avocado (strips of) along center (see photo, step 2).
- Lay a few cucumber strips along center (see photo, step 2).
- Roll mat over once, away from you, pressing ingredients in to keep roll firm (see photo, step 3).
- Remove sushi roll from the mat and place on cutting board.
- Using a sharp knife, cut each roll gently into 8 pieces (see photo, step 4).
- Repeat four times to make four rolls / 32 sushi pieces. Vary the filling as you like.
Download PDF here: Japanese Sushi Rolls Mai Hanaki Brodersen