RECIPE BY: MAI HANAKI BRODERSEN
SOURCE: MAI HANAKI BRODERSEN
SERVES: 4 bowls
Ingredients (Dashi Stock)
- 4 cups water
- 4 x 8 cm of konbu (sea weed), see photo
- 20 g of katsuobushi (dried fish flakes)
Ingredients (Miso Soup)
- 4 cups Dashi stock (above)
- ½ pack of tofu (cut in pieces), see photo in attached file
- ½ Tbsp of wakame (dried sea weed), see photo in attached file
- 1 Tbsp chopped spring onion
- 4 Tbsp miso (paste), see photo in attached file
- 8 pieces Fu (little Japanese toasts, see photo in attached file), optional
Instructions (Dashi Stock)
- Wipe konbu with a cloth. Put water and konbu in a large saucepan. Soak for at least for 30 mins.
- Put the saucepan over high heat and remove the konbu just before the water comes boil.
- Add the katsuobushi, bring back to a boil, and then immediately turn off the heat.
- Let it stand until all the flakes have sunk.
- Pour the mixture through a strainer lined with paper towel. Discard what stays behind in the paper towel, you only want the liquid that drains through – this is the dashi stock.
Instructions (Miso Soup)
- Heat the dashi stock. Before it comes to a boil, add the tofu and wakame.
- Bring almost to a boil then turn off the heart.
- Add miso gradually, stirring. Add the spring onions and the fu toasts (optional).
- Pour into bowls and serve hot.
Download PDF here: Japanese Miso Soup Mai Hanaki Brodersen