Recipe by: Mai Hanaki Brodersen
Source: “Everyday Harumi” by Harumi Kurihara
Serves: 12 skewers
Ingredients (Teriyaki Sauce)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup mirin*
- 2 Tbsp sugar
Ingredients (Chicken Yakitori)
- 450 g chicken thigh (without bone, cut in pieces)
- 1 pack of leek (cut into 3-4 cm pieces)
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce (see above)
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Instructions (Teriyaki Sauce)
- Put soy sauce, mirin and sugar together into a small saucepan and gently cook for a while, 10 – 15 mins.
Instructions (Chicken Yakitori)
- Soak the bamboo skewers in water for a few minutes to stop them from burning during cooking.
- Thread the chicken and leeks onto the skewers.
- Put a bit of oil into a pan and heat it.
- Add the skewers and fry until nicely browned and cooked through. (You can also use a barbecue.)
- Coat them in the teriyaki sauce.
- Serve hot.
* Mirin is is an essential condiment used in Japanese cuisine. It is a type of rice wine similar to sake, but with lower alcohol content and higher sugar content.
Download PDF here: Japanese Chicken Yakitori Mai Hanaki Brodersen