RECIPE BY: IRENE LECHEVALIER
SOURCE: TRADITIONAL (COMMONLY KNOWN) COSTA RICAN RECIPE
SERVES:6, can put in a corn tortilla (SEE RECIPE)
- 350 g beef (flank, round eye, brisket)
- Salt and pepper (how much?)
- 3 small onion, peeled and chopped (one for the beef, 2 later on)
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 Knorr beef stock cubes
- 7 – 8 potatoes
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp turmeric (for color)
- 1 tsp paprika (for color)
- 1 tsp achiote (for color, optional, if using, dissolve in the beef stock)*
- 2 cups beef stock
- Cook the beef in a pressure cooker for 55 mins with salt, pepper, onion, one carrot, and celery and the beef stock cubes.
- Take the beef out and shred it. Keep the broth, you will need 2 cups of this later.
- Peal the potatoes and boil ~15 mins.
- Drain the potatoes and wait for them to cool.
- Cut the potatoes into cubes (never cut the potatoes when they are hot).
- In a pan over medium heat, heat oil, add onions and garlic and cook it until limp.
- Add the beef, stirring for about 3 mins.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, paprika (to give color) and oregano.
- Season with pepper and salt add the potatoes.
- Add 2 cups of the beef stock reserved from before and add the coriander leaves.
* Can get achiote at Belmonte Latin Foods, 5 Ridgewood close, # G5 Ridgewood Condo (retail wing), SG 276696
Download PDF here: Costa Rican Picadillo de Papa (Beef and Potato Hash) Irene Lechevalier