Recipe by: Mehek Kalra
Source: Family recipe
Serve with a curry, raita or by itself.
- 1 ½ Tbsp oil, ghee or butter
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 6 cardamoms
- 6 cloves
- 6 peppercorns
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cinnamom stick
- 5 green chillies, halved
- 4 medium sized onion, sliced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 500 g frozen baby peas, thawed
- 1 tsp red chili powder
- 3 tsp coriander powder
- salt as required
- 1 small cup basmati rice
- a few coriander leaves, chopped for garnishing (optional)
- Heat oil/ghee/butter in a pot and add the cumin seeds, cardamoms, cloves, peppercorns, bay leaves and the cinnamom stick, green chillies. Cook until aromatic, ~ 2 mins.
- Add the onions and cook until soft & translucent (slightly brown is also fine), ~ 10 mins.
- Add the turmeric powder and the baby peas and cook through, ~ 10 mins.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Add 1 cup washed basmati rice to the mixture and add 2 cups water and mix well.
- Heat through on a high flame. Reduce the flame to a simmer and cook rice through, ~ 30 mins.
- Garnish with coriander levaes (optional).
- Serve immediately with a curry, raita or by itself.
Download PDF here: North Indian Peas Pulao (Peas with Rice) Mehek Kalra