Recipe by: Mehek Kalra
Source: Mehek Kalra
Serve with Rice or Roti
Ingredients (Tandoori Chicken)
- 2 chickens, medium size pieces (with or without bone)
- 1 cup yogurt (hung to remove most of the remove water)
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 4 Tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 3-4 Tbsp tandoori chicken masala, see photo in attached file*
- Orange food colouring (a pinch)
- Oil (preferably a spray)
- 4 Tbsp neutral oil (vegetable or canola oil)
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp cloves
- 2 medium pink onions, pureed
- 4 medium tomatoes, pureed
- 2 small tins Hunts tomato puree
- 3-4 Tbsp Butter Chicken Masala, see photo in attached file *
- Fresh small green chillies (more the better!), halved
- 300 g cooking cream
- Salt to taste
- Sugar (a pinch)
- ⅔ cup chicken stock or water
- ½ green capsicum (optional)
- 3 Tbsp dried Kasuri Methi, see photo in attached PDF file (recommended but optional)
- ½ bunch coriander leaves, stems removed
Instructions (Tandoori Chicken, can be eaten by itself)
- Whisk together the yogurt, lemon juice, ginger garlic paste, tandoori chicken masala, salt and the food colouring in a large bowl.
- Add the chicken and coat with the marinade.
- Cover, and refrigerate for up to a day.
Preheat oven to 270 C (520 F)
- Place the chicken in an oven tray and spray some oil over.
- Bake in the oven for 20 mins or until the chicken is just about cooked and the top is browned (make sure you don’t overcook the chicken).
- In a large pan over medium heat, heat the oil.
- Add the cumin, 2 fresh green chillies, cloves and the cinnamon stick and stir for 20-30 sec.
- Add the onion puree and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions start to brown.
- Add the fresh tomato puree and cook for about 10 mins.
- Add the Hunts tomato puree, Butter Chicken Masala and salt to taste.
- Add the Tandoori Chicken and all the drippings on the oven tray into the tomato gravy, and cook for 5 mins, then add the chicken stock/water.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Add the capsicum (if using), then lower the heat and simmer, uncovered, for approximately 15-20 mins.
- Add the pinch of sugar, crushed kastoori methi (if using) and more green chillies.
- Stir in the cream and just heat through.
- Garnish with a dollop of cream, cut green chillies and chopped coriander leaves.
Download PDF here: North Indian Butter Chicken Mehek Kalra