Recipe by: Irene Lechevalier
Source: Traditional (commonly known) Costa Rican recipe
Frijoles Molidos is very common in Costa Rica, where I am from. Because the chipotle chilies come from Mexico, this is more of a Latin American dish. You can have it as a snack with coffee or even in a quesadilla in a corn tortilla (see separate recipe) with mozzarella cheese.
- 2 cans (2 x 560 g) black beans*
- 1 small white onion, roughly chopped
- 1 Tbsp coriander
- ¼ red capsicum, roughly chopped
- Pinch of sugar
- 1 tsp chipotle chilis (see photo in attached file) *
- Drain the water from the black beans.
- In a blender, blitz the beans, onion, capsicum and sugar.
- Add the chili and quickly blend.
- Taste and adjust with seasoning or with coriander / sugar / chilies as you see fit.
* Can get this brand of Mexican black beans and chipotles at Belmonte Latin Foods, 5 Ridgewood close, # G5 Ridgewood Condo (retail wing), SG 276696. You may also be able to find the chipotles at some Cold Storage stores.