Recipe by: Sanha Bose
Source: Family recipe
- 1 cup basmati or other long grain rice
- ½ onion, minced
- 2 Tbsp butter or cooking oil
- 2 strips orange zest
- 1 black cardamom
- 1 small piece cinnamon stick
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Pinch of Saffron strands
- 3 tablespoons warm milk
- 1 tsp each
- golden Raisins, for garnish
- Cranberries, for garnish
- Pistachios, for garnish
- Soak saffron strands in warm milk for 10 mins
- Soak the rice in three cups of water for half an hour prior to cooking.
- Drain that water and cook the rice in four cups fresh water till three-fourth done, approximately 10 mins.
- Drain the excess water.
Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F)
- Heat butter or oil and fry the onions till golden brown. Remove onions and reserve for garnish later.
- Lower the heat and add the whole spices to the hot oil.
- Add the rice, orange zest and salt. Stir to coat the rice.
- Transfer the rice to a casserole dish, sprinkle the saffron / milk mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile simmer the peas in salted water until heated, approximately 2-3 mins.
- Remove the rice from the oven and add the peas and fried onion. Fluff with a fork.
- Garnish with raisins, cranberries and pistachios.
Download PDF here:Indian Saffron Rice with Peas Sanha Bose