Recipe by: Christiane Krink
Source: Adapted from a German cookbook “Kleine Kuchen & Torten”
Serves: 10-12 small pieces
- 4 eggs
- 120 g sugar
- 1 packet (8 g) vanilla sugar (German Marketplace)(or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 120 g flour
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp unsweetened coco powder
- 4 Tbsp Kirsch / Kirschwasser (cherry brandy) (can find at Hubers and Tanglin Marketplace)
- 1 jar of cherries (350 g drained net weight)
- 1 packet (8 g) vanilla sugar (German Marketplace)
- (or 1 tsp vanilla extract)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 400 g whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp icing sugar
- 2 packet “Sahnesteif” (cream stabilizer) optional (see photo, German Marketplace)
- Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F) and grease a round baking tin (20-22 cm).
- Mix eggs, Sugar and vanilla sugar for 12 mins.
- Fold in flour, Cacao and salt carefully.
- Pour mixture into tin and bake for 20-25 mins.
- Cool down in tin until you are able to handle the cake, then turn out and cool on a rack.
- Slice the cake into 2 to 3 segments horizontally.
- Drain the cherries and keep 10 aside for decoration.
- Set aside the juice.
- Boil the cherries with vanilla sugar, sugar and 4 Tbsp of cherry juice.
- Mix 3 Tbsp of cherry-juice with the starch until creamy in a separate small bowl.
- Mix into the cherry mixture in the pot until mixture thickens.
- Put to one side and allow to cool.
- Drizzle the bottom layer of cake with 2 Tbsp of cherry brandy.
- Layer half of the cherries on top of this layer.
- Top with the second layer of cake and drizzle with another 2 Tbsp of cherry brandy.
- Layer the second half of the cherries on top in addition to half of the whipped cream.
- Stack the third cake later carefully on top.
- Cover the top and sides of the cake with cream (save some for later piping).
- Garnish the edge with grated or splinters of chocolate.
- Fill a piping bag with the remaining cream and pipe 10 rosettes on the tip of the cake around the edge.
- Place one cherry in the center of each rosette.
- Garnish the center of the cake with chocolate splinters.
- Infuse about 30 mins or longer (in the fridge so the cream doesn’t go sour), then cut into 10 pieces.
- Serve and enjoy!
Download PDF here: German Schwartwalder Torte (Black Forrest Cherry Cake) Christiane Krink