Recipe by: Ambica Pruthi
Source: Adapted from Foodviva.com
Best served warm or room temperature. Serve with green chutney, imli chutney and spiced buttermilk.
- 1 ½ cup chickpea flour (besan)
- 2 Tbsp semolina flour
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tsp Eno fruit salt (see photo)
- 1/3 cup yogurt
- ~3/4 cup water, plus 1 ½ cups for steaming
- 2 Tbsp oil, plus 1 tsp for greasing
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp fine mustard seeds (see photo in attached PDF file)
- A pinch asfotedia / hing, optional (see photo in attached PDF file)
- 10-15 curry leaves (optional)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2/3 cup water
- 2-3 green chilies, whole or chopped
- 1 tsp white sesames
- Grated coconut for garnishing
- Coriander, chopped
- Idli/Dhokla Maker (Alternatively a flat plat pan which can fit into a pot)
- A pot with lid which can fit the idli/dhokla maker
- Add 1 ½ cup water to the pot and place on medium heat.
- Use 1 tsp oil to grease the idli/dhokla maker or whatever utensil you choose to make dhokla in.
- Mix besan, semolina flour, salt, 1 Tbsp oil, yogurt, and lemon juice together in a bowl. Slowly add water two tablespoons at a time until you reach a medium thick batter. Shouldn’t be flowy or too thick to stir.
- Now add eno fruit salt to the mixture and stir it only a couple of times. This will make the batter bubble and double in quantity.
- Pour the batter in your idli/dhokla maker and place it in the pot with simmering water. Close the lid and set timer to 12 mins.
- Dissolve 1 Tbsp sugar in water and set aside.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a pan and let it warm a bit. Add mustard seeds to it and a pinch of asfotedia (optional).
- Reduce heat and add curry leaves, chopped chilies and sesame seeds. Remove from heat and after it cools, add sugar water to it.
- Once Dhokla is done, remove it from the pot and let it sit for 5 mins. Remove it from the mold using a knife and arrange in a serving dish which should be preferably flat. Pour the tempering evenly all over Dhoklas and garnish with coconut and coriander.
- Serve with green chutney, imli chutney and spiced buttermilk.
Download attached PDF here: West Indian Instant Khaman Dhokla Ambica Pruthi