RECIPE BY: SILKE BECKER
- 7 Tbsp sesame seeds
- Heaped ½ cup flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp sweet Spanish paprika powder
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 eggs, separated
- 100 g creamy cows milk cheese such as Tetilla, grated
- ¼ cup grated Manchego cheese or Parmesan cheese
- Oil for frying
- Honey or Maple syrup for coating
- Roast 2 Tbsp of sesame until golden.
- Mix flour, baking powder, paprika, cayenne and salt.
- In separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff.
- Stir in cheeses, egg yolks, toasted sesame and flour mixture.
- Drop batter by the spoonful (walnut size) onto a foil lined plate and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
- (You can press a piece of pimiento, olive or sundried tomato in the center to add a surprise).
- Heat oil very hot but not smoking. Roll each cheese puff in raw sesame seeds and then deep fry until golden brown. This takes only 1-2 mins.
- Rest on paper towel to remove excessive oil
- To serve, drizzle with maple syrup.
- Serve immediately
Download PDF here: Spanish Cheese Puffs with Sesame Silke Becker