Recipe by: Pallavi Lele
Source: Pallavi’s family recipe
Ingredients (Chicken Marinate)
- 1 chicken (~800 g), cut into small pieces (“India cut” at wet markets)
- 2 Tbsp yogurt
- 1 Tbsp turmeric powder
- 2-3 Tbsp red chili powder
- 2 medium red onions, cut lengthwise
- 2 Tbsp shredded coconut
- 1 x 1 inch ginger, peeled
- 1 whole head garlic, peeled
- 4 (small) green chilies, wash and remove stems
- 1 handful coriander leaves, washed and remove stems
- 7-8 cardamoms, peeled
- 1 x 1 inch long cinnamon stick
- 2 Tbsp white sesame seeds
- Salt, as needed
- 2 medium tomatoes, cut into big pieces
- 3 Tbsp red chili powder or more to taste
- 2 bay leaves
- Add the chicken pieces and marinade for 30 mins. If you can marinate up to 2 hours, even better.
- Mix the yogurt, turmeric powder and chili powder in a bowl.
- Fry the sliced onions for a few mins in 1 Tbsp oil until the onions turn brown, then add the shredded coconut and fry for a few mins more.
- Put the fried onions / coconut mixture with the rest of the masala ingredients and ½ cup water in a blender and grind until you get a smooth paste.
- Put 4 Tbsp oil in a pot and add the masala paste along with the bay leaves and fry for 5 mins.
- Add marinated chicken, 1 cup water, salt and red chili powder to taste and cook with lid on for 30 mins on low flame.
- Serve with rice.
Download PDF here: Central Indian Chicken Curry Pallavi Lele