RECIPE BY: SUNDITTA CHOPRA
Source: Adapted from Mrs Balbir Sing’s Indian Cookery Book
- 1 kg chicken breast tenderloin
- ½ cup plain yoghurt
- 2 ½ Tbsp tandoori masala
- 1 ½ Tbsp garlic paste
- 1 ½ Tbsp ginger paste
- Juice of four limes
- 200 g unsalted butter
- 1 ½ Tbsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 ½ tsp salt
- 3 tsp sugar
- 13 oz can of tomato puree
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 100 ml whipping cream
- Coriander leaves, chopped
- Mix together all the ingredients for the marinade.
- Marinate chicken in this mixture overnight or at least 6 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180*C (350 F).
- Bake chicken for about 30 mins until done.
- Shred the cooked chicken.
- Melt 100 g of butter in a hot pan and add the shredded chicken.
- Fry the chicken in the butter for 2-3 mins and remove.
- Melt the remaining 100 g of butter in the same pan.
- When the butter is hot add the chilli powder and ginger.
- Add the tomato puree, salt and sugar and stir.
- Cover the pan and simmer for 10 mins until the sauce is cooked and the butter floats on top.
- Add the chicken and lemon juice and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Finally add the whipping cream and serve.
Download PDF here: North Indian Butter Chicken Sunditta Chopra