RECIPE BY: SUNDITTA CHOPRA
SOURCE: SUNDITTA’S MOTHER
- 200 ml cooking cream
- ¼ cup milk
- 3-4 strands saffron, soaked in a little warm milk
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 6 slices of white bread, crusts removed and cut into four squares each
- Oil for deep frying
Ingredients (Sugar Syrup)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup peeled pistachios, dry roasted
- 3-4 green cardamom pods peels removed and pounded to a course powder
- Bring the cooking cream and milk to a boil in a heavy bottom pan.
- Reduce heat and cook the mixture till thickened, stirring and scraping the sides of the pan frequently to prevent burning.
- Once thickened add the saffron and sugar and stir till the sugar has dissolved, turn off heat.
- Heat oil on a pan till hot. Add the pieces of bread and deep fry till deep brown in colour and crisp.
- Remove on a paper towel.
Instructions (Sugar Syrup)
- Cook the sugar and water together till you have a sticky sugar syrup just short of one strand.
- Dip fried bread in sugar syrup till coated and remove on serving platter.
- Spoon rabri over the bread and garnish with pistachios and cardamom powder.
Download PDF here: Indian Shahi Tukri (Dessert) Sunditta Chopra