RECIPE BY: JOCELYN ALEXANDRA
SOURCE:Nigel Slater’s “12 Tastes of Christmas”
- 1 x 380 g (13oz) ready-made puff pastry sheet
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50 g (1¾ oz) fresh dill, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp clear honey
- 5 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 medium cucumbers, peeled
- plain flour, for dusting
- 1 x 2.8 kg (6 lb) salmon, skin removed and filleted into 2 pieces
- 1 free-range egg, beaten, combined with a little milk
Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F). Line a large baking tray with baking parchment.
- Lay one fillet in the centre of the pastry, pile half of the filling on top and then cover with the second fillet.
- Lay the pastry on the lined baking tray.
- Roll the pastry out to 40 cm (16 inch) x 30 cm (12 inch) on a lightly floured surface).
- Season well with salt and freshly ground black pepper and set aside.
- Place the cucumbers in a mixing bowl with the mustard, honey, vinegar and finely chopped dill.
- Slice the cucumbers lengthways, scrape out the seeds with a teaspoon, and chop into 1 cm (½ inch) thick pieces.
- Brush the edges of the pastry with the mixture of milk and beaten egg.
- Fold the pastry over the fish, sealing the edges by pressing them together, leaving a gap in the centre, so that you can see inside.
- Brush the pastry with more beaten egg and milk and bake for 45 mins.
- Serve with the remaining cucumber mixture.
Download PDF here: British Salmon Wellington with Cucumber Salad Jocelyn Alexander