Recipe by: Tracy Luzuriaga
Source: Zuni Cafe, New York
- Knob of butter
- 5 whole eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 Tbsp sugar
- 10 oz (285 g) chopped bittersweet chocolate
- 6 Tbsp strong brewed coffee
- ¾ cup heavy cream
Preheat oven to 350 F (175 C)
- Grease a 9” (23 cm) cake pan with butter, line bottom and sides of pan with buttered parchment paper and set aside.
- Combine the whole eggs, egg yolks, and sugar in a large heatproof bowl set bowl over pan of slightly simmering water and stir until mixture is room temperature.
- Remove bowl and mix with electric mixer on medium speed until mixture has quadrupled in volume (15-20 mins).
- Melt chocolate and coffee together in a medium bowl set over simmering water stirring often. Remove from heat.
- Whip cream in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Fold one quarter of the egg mixture into the melted chocolate then fold chocolate mixture and whipped cream into remaining egg mixture.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and set pan into a roasting pan.
- Pour hot water into the roasting pan to a depth of 1” and transfer to oven.
- Bake cake until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean, about 1 hour.
- Turn off oven leave oven door ajar and let cake rest for 30 mins.
- Remove cake from over in its water bath and let rest for another 30 mins.
- Invert onto plate and peel off parchment.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with whipped cream.
Download PDF here: American Flourless Cake Tracy Luzuriaga