Recipe by: Malika Singh
Serves: 2 – 3
- 225 – 250 g french beans
- ¾ tsp mustard seeds (rai)
- 2 dry red chilies, whole or broken & deseeded
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- a pinch of asafoetida (hing)
- 1 sprig of curry leaves (kadi patt)
- 2 to 3 Tbsp grated coconut
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp oil
- salt as required
- Rinse the french beans for a few times in water. Drain them.
- Remove the side strings from the beans and then chop them diagonally in ¼ inch pieces.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add the mustard and urad dal.
- On a low flame fry the mustard and urad till the mustard splutters and the urad dal turns into a maroon-ish red. Be careful not to burn the dal.
- Add the dry red chilies, curry leaves, turmeric powder, asafoetida and stir for 8-10 seconds.
- Add the chopped french bean.
- Saute for a minute and then add ½ cup water along with salt.
- Cover and cook till the french beans are cooked tender.
- Check in between whilst cooking. If the water dries up, you can add some more water.
- Once the beans are cooked until tender, add the grated coconut. switch off the stove and stir.
- Serve the French Beans Poriyal hot or warm with sambar and steamed rice.
Download PDF here: South Indian French Beans Poriyal Malika Singh