Recipe by: Angelia Liu
Source: Adapted from recipe on http://www.meishij.net
- 4 chicken legs, cubed into 2 cm pieces
- 10 g ginger, sliced
- 20 g spring onions (scallions), chopped
- 4 gloves garlic, sliced
- 2 cups of vegetable oil
- 50 g dry red chill
- 20 g Sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tsp white sugar
- 2 Tbsp light soy sauce
- ½ Tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp potato starch
- Rinse and cut chicken legs into sections and drain.
- Marinate in the seasoning for 30 mins.
- Cut the red dry chili into small pieces 1 cm and keep the peppercorns ready.
- Add 2 cups of oil into a wok. Bring to the boil over a high heat.
- Turn to a medium heat. Slowly slide in the chicken and deep-fry until golden color. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. (Alternatively you could shallow fry the chicken till it is golden brown).
- Heat a clean wok with 2 Tbsp oil, fry the ginger and garlic until you can smell the flavours.
- Add the dry chilli and peppercorns. Fry them until the oil changes to a yellow colour.
- Add the deep fried chicken and white sugar.
- Add the chopped spring onions (scallions) and fry for 2 mins.
- Serve immediately.
Download PDF here: Chinese Sichuan Lazi Jiding (Spicy Chicken) Angela Liu