Recipe by: Maria Fernanda de Genaro
Source: from Brazil a cook’s tour by Christopher Idone
Serves: Makes 24 rolls
- 1 cup polvilho azedo flour (same as tapioca starch)
- ½ cup + 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp rapid-rise dry yeast
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- ½ cup milk
- 3 Tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- In a large bowl combine the polvilho flour/tapioca starch, flour, salt, yeast, and parmesan cheese.
- In a small saucepan, warm the milk over low heat, then remove and add the butter.
- When the butter is melted, pour the liquid mixture over dry ingredients.
- Combine the ingredients with a wooden spoon.
- Add the egg and stir until combined.
- Cover and set aside for ½ hour.
Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F)
- Using a teaspoon, spoon the dough in small rounds onto an ungreased baking sheet
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until lightly golden.
Download PDF here: Brazilian Pao de Queijo (Cheese Rolls) Maria Fernanda de Genaro