Recipe by: Maria Fernanda de Genaro
Source: Mix of Maria’s grandma’s and aunt’s helper recipes
- 1 medium pumpkin (or 6 mini pumpkins)
- 1 kg large shrimp, shelled, deveined and tail-less (note weight is after shells removed)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 Tbsp coriander, chopped*
- ½ Tbsp green onion chopped*
- 2 cups tomatoes, diced (can use canned)
- 300 g requeijão cremoso (brazilian processed cream cheese, similar to: cheese spread**)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 red chilli. chopped*
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 4 Tbsp thick cream, without serum
Preheat the oven to 180 C (350 F)
- Wash the pumpkin and make a hole on the top (size that you can easily use a big spoon to clean it).
- Clean all the seeds and wrap with aluminium foil.
- Set on a baking sheet with the hole down.
- Bake it for approximately 40 to 45 minutes (or until it is soft). It is ready when you can make small holes with a fork.
- Use part (1 tablespoon) of requeijao (cheese spread) to spread inside the pumpkin.
- On a skillet heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the onion and garlic.
- Add the diced tomatoes, shrimps, salt and pepper.
- Cover and let it cook for 5 mins.
- Add the rest of requeijao (cheese spread) and cream, and stir.
- Add the coriander and green onions, and stir.
- Taste, and if necessary add salt and pepper.
- Fill the pumpkin with this sauce.
- Close the pumpkin and bake for another 10 mins.
- Serve with rice.
Download PDF here: Brazilian Camarão na Moranga (Pumpkin Shrimps) Maria Fernanda de Genaro