Recipe by: Sibel Cinar
Source: Sibel’s Personal Recipe
Serves: 6 – 8
Meatballs Wrapped in Eggplants
- 500g ground beef
- 1 medium onion, grated
- 1 egg
- ½ cup English parsley, finely chopped
- 1 garlic, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- 6 large brinjals/eggplants (light purple)
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced
- 2 green peppers, sliced lengthways
- 1 tsp salt
- 2L water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 cups boiling hot water
- In a large bowl, combine the grated onions, garlic and egg. Stir in the ground beef, breadcrumbs, salt, parsley, olive oil, water, ground cumin and ground cinnamon. Knead for 3 – 5 minutes with your hands until the mixture is well mixed. Cover with cling film and rest in the fridge for 30 mins.
- Peel the eggplants lengthways in stripes like a zebra.
- Slice the eggplants lengthways about ½ cm thick
- In a basin, add salt into 2L water and soak the eggplants for 15 mins. Drain and pat dry.
Preparing the Islim Kebabs
- Heat some sunflower oil in a frying pan and fry the eggplants for 3-4 mins until golden brown. Drain on kitchen towels.
- Shape the meatballs: Wet your hands slightly and take a walnut size of the meat mixture and roll into a ball. After frying the entire batch of eggplants, use the same frying pan to fry the meatballs for 2 – 3 mins. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 200 – 220°C.
- On a board, place one eggplant slice horizontally and the other slice vertically (like a + shape) on top of each other and place the meatball in the middle. Fold over the slices to wrap. Lay a slice of tomato and green pepper on top and fasten the structure with a toothpick. Repeat for the rest of the eggplant slices.
- Place the wrapped eggplants in a oven-proof dish.
- Mix the tomato paste with boiling hot water and pour this around the eggplant packages.
- Bake for 30 mins and serve hot.
Download PDF here: Turkish Islim Kebabs Sibel Cinar