Recipe: Candy Braithwaite
Source: Adapted from an Australian magazine article
- 2 x 400g cans chickpeas
- 1 red onion (size of a small apple), diced
- 2 cloves crushed/minced garlic, chopped garlic in a jar also OK
- ½ cup dried cranberries or chopped dried apricots
- Juice of I lemon
- lemon peel (fresh), finely chopped (not the white parts)
- – or 1 preserved lemon , finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp smoked sweet paprika (regular paprika also ok if you cannot find smoked)
- 1 Tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, washed
- ¼ cup fresh parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup pistachios, chopped roughly
- ½ cup natural yoghurt, low fat OK
- Pomegranate molasses (middle eastern food store) (in Singapore, try Mustafa’s cake baking section)
- Drain , rinse well and strain chickpeas.
- Place chick peas in a large bowl with onion, garlic, cranberries (or apricots), lemon and lemon juice, olive oil, soy sauce and all the dried spices.
- Mix well and leave to marinate at least one hour (overnight OK but must be in the fridge).
- At time of serving , mix the parsley and pistachios into the chickpea mixture (ok to save a little of each to decorate the top at the end if you wish).
- Line a serving bowl with the baby spinach leaves and top with the chick pea mixture.
- Place the yoghurt on top with a spoon and drizzle with pomegranate molasses.
Download PDF here: Moroccan Style Chickpea Spinach Salad Candida Braithwaite