Recipes by: Tania Nicaise
Source: Adapted from “La Grande Pasticceria:, ed. Mondadori
Serves: 8 – 10
* Note: For this recipe, you can make half the quantity of Patissiere Cream. If you make this quantity here (using 1 L milk), you can use the extra custard to fill in tarts, éclairs, trifles, or simply eat with fresh fruits.
Ingredients (Pan Di Spagna)
- 4 medium eggs (60 g each), room temperature
- 150 g caster sugar
- 150 g prime quality cake flour
- 2 cm vanilla pod (grains scraped from)
- A pinch of salt
- Butter and flour for a 21 cm diameter tin
Ingredient (Patissiere Cream)*
- 9 egg yolks (from medium / 60 g eggs), room temperature
- 350 g caster sugar
- 80 g cake flour, sifted
- 1 L whole milk
- ½ vanilla bean
- and/or lemon zest (2 strips)
- 1 Pan Di Spagna (above)
- ½ quantity Crème Patissiere (above)
- Whipping cream (min 35% fat cream, President or Lescure brand)
- 500 g strawberries
- A few blueberries and raspberries
- Icing sugar
Instructions (Pan Di Spagna)
Preheat oven 180 C (350 F)
- Grease the tin with butter and dust with flour.
- Mix the eggs, a pinch of salt, the vanilla grains and sugar till the batter becomes white and minimum tripled volume (around 10-15 min with a hand mix / 5 min with a Kenwood / KitchenAid mixer).
- Sift the flour on the batter; mix delicately with a spatula (movements from below to top turning the recipient).
- Put the batter in the cake tin, put in the oven and turn down to 170 C. Bake for 25 min.
- Check if the cake is cooked with a tooth stick (make sure it comes out clean).
- Switch off the oven and let the cake in for 10 min (so the cake won’t collapse when you remove from the oven!).
- Let it cool 10 min before you flip onto a wire rack.
Instructions (Patissiere Cream)
- Heat the milk with the vanilla bean and/or the lemon zest till it boils.
- Remove from heat and let it infuse for at least 1 hour ( you can also let it infuse overnight in the fridge for a stronger taste).
- Mix the yolks and sugar till the batter doubled volume.
- Sift in the flour and mix just to incorporate it.
- Reheat the milk till warm and add to the batter. Mix carefully.
- Transfer the batter into a cleaned pan and cook it till it boils. Don’t stop whisking. The cream will thicken. Let it boil 3-4 mins continuing whisking.
- Transfer into a container and cover with plastic wrap directly onto the top of the cream to avoid a skin. Refrigerate once the cream is cold.
- Slice the Pan di Spagna in half.
- Clean and slice strawberries (you can cut 3 strawberries in half for decoration).
- Whip the cream with an electric whisk till “Chantilly” consistency, see photo (don’t overbeat!)
- Mix the crème patissiere with the whipped cream.
- Put the cream in one half of the cake. Add the strawberries. Close with the second half.
- Decorate the top of the cake with icing sugar, strawberries, blueberries and raspberries.
Download PDF here: Italian Pan di Spagna, Patissiere Creme and Strawberries Cake Tania Nicaise