Recipe by: Candy Braithwaite
Source: English heritage, home cooking simplified by busy Aussie mum
Serves: 4 – 6
- 2-3 cups fruits, sliced (or canned) *
- Berries in combination with one of the above
- 1 ½ cups raw rolled oats (not instant)
- 2-3 Tbsp butter, soft
- 2-3 Tbsp brown sugar
- Spices if you desire
- Ground cinnamon with apples
- Ground ginger with apricots
- Try ¼ – ½ tsp per cup of cooked fruit
- Vanilla ice cream or vanilla custard
- Fruit combinations as you like
- apple and raspberry
- apple and rhubarb
- frozen raspberries and blueberries
- peach or apricot (alone or mixed with apple or berries)
- Simmer sliced fruit in a medium size saucepan with water until soft (cooked ), about 10 min.
- If canned fruit is used, try and get “pie style “ as it is dry. If you use Canned Fruit in Syrup then drain off the syrup very thoroughly. Frozen berries do not need to be defrosted. Watch out American pie fruit often has added sugar and this recipe is better with unsweetened fruit .
- Stir in ground cinnamon (for apples), ground ginger (for apricots).
- Spread fruit evenly across the bottom of a pie plate or similar over proof container.
Instructions (Crumble topping)
Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F)
- In a mixing bowl combine the oats and brown sugar. Then add soft butter and crumble gently between your fingers until the mixture forms moist clumps.
- Sprinkle evenly over fruit but do not flatten it out (leave with uneven surface).
- Bake at 180°C for about 15 min, until top is light brown and crisp.
- Serve with ice cream or custard while still warm.
Download PDF here:Australian Quick Fruit Crumble Candida Braithwaite