Recipe by: Evania Marler
Source: Adapted from Russel Wong’s Blog: “The Wong List”
* Peranakan Chinese are the descendants of Chinese immigrants who came to the Malay archipelago and British Malaya (now Peninsular Malaysia and Singapore) between the 15th and 17th centuries.
- 10 fresh red chilies (~100 g)
- 10 stalks dried chill (~20 g), soaked
- 2 tsp belacan
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- 6 Tbsp cooking oil
Ingredients (Spice Paste)
- 4 tsp belacan
- 60 g candlenuts (about 10) or macadamia nuts
- 20 stalks dried chilies, soaked until softened
- 8 stalks (100 g) lemongrass, sliced
- 2 inch (60 g) segment galangal
- 3 inch (30 g) segment old turmeric, skinned
- 10 shallots, peeled and sliced
- Salt to taste
- 60 g dried shrimp (soak for 30 minutes, drain and blend until fine)
Ingredients (Laksa Broth)
- ½ cup cooking oil
- 1 quart prawn or chicken stock
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 20 pieces tofu puffs (see photo next page)
scalded in hot water briefly to remove oil
- 2 tsp salt, or to taste
Ingredients (for Assembly)
- Cooked vermicelli noodles (see photo next page)
- 200 grams beansprouts, blanched
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 500 grams prawns, boiled and peeled
- 1 chicken breast, boiled and shredded
- 20 quail eggs, hard-boiled
- 1 bunch curry leaves, optional
- Using a blender, finely grind fresh red chilies, dried chilies, and shrimp paste.
- Heat oil in a pan. Sauté chili spice paste until fragrant, stirring continuously.
- Add salt and sugar to taste.
- Set aside to serve with finished laksa.
Instructions (Spice Paste)
- Using a blender, pulse shallots, turmeric, galangal, lemongrass, dried chilies, candlenuts, and shrimp paste until they form a smooth paste, adding a bit of water if necessary.
Instructions (Laksa Broth)
- In a large heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat ½ cup cooking oil. Sauté spice paste until fragrant.
- Add blended dried shrimp and stock and bring to a boil.
- Add coconut milk, tofu puffs, and salt. Bring to a quick boil, stirring continuously.
- Turn off heat once broth comes to a boil.
- Blanch vermicelli noodles in boiling water and drain.
- Place some noodles into a bowl, garnish with bean sprouts and cucumber.
- Ladle hot laksa broth over with some tofu puffs.
- Top with prawns, shredded chicken, quail eggs, and curry leaves if using.
- Serve with sambal.
Download PDF here: Singaporean (Peranakan) Laksa Evania Marier v2