Recipe by: Aparna Balasubramaniam
Source: ‘Plenty’ by Yotam Ottolenghi
Serves: 4 – 6
- 2 large eggplants
- ¼ cup olive oil
- small bunch of thyme leaves
- Sea salt to taste
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup Greek yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 ½ tsp za’atar
- Salt to taste
Arils of 1 pomegranate
- Wash the eggplants and cut them into ½ inch rounds.
- Brush each round with olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and a few thyme leaves.
- Grill them on a low flame, turning frequently, until cooked. The eggplant should be soft, but not mushy. Cool and keep aside.
- Put all the ingredients for the sauce in a bowl. Whisk gently until blended. Refrigerate until needed.
- To serve, arrange the grilled eggplant rounds on a plate. Spoon a generous amount of the sauce on top of each round and sprinkle some pomegranate arils on each.
Download PDF here: Aparna Balasubramaniam Lebanese Eggplant with Buttermilk