Recipe by: Dora Barta
Source: Family recipe
Served with bread dumplings and pickled gherkins
Ingredients (Pork Stew)
- 1.5 kg pork loin or beef/venison
- 6 carrots
- 3 onions
- 2 heads of garlic
- A handful of juniper berries
- 6 bay leaves
- 2 + 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp honey
Ingredients (Bread Dumplings)
- 2 baguettes
- 50 g butter
- 2 large eggs
- 150 ml milk
- 5 Tbsp flour
Instructions (Pork Stew)
- Cut off all the fatty parts from the pork and slice the lean meat into 1-cm thick medallions. Put the slices in a food container (which has a lid).
- Cover the medallions in 2 Tbsp mustard and add freshly ground pepper. Peel and slice the onions, peel the garlic cloves and crush them with the side of a knife.
- Mix the onion and garlic slices with the meat and pour sunflower oil over the mix, so that the meat is fully covered. You can also add some bay leaves and some juniper berries. Marinate it for up to 4 days, but at least for 1 night.
- Take the meat out of the oil, and brown the slices on both sides in a deep pan or casserole. Pour 500 ml water over the meat, add bay leaves, salt and pepper.
- Bring it to the boil, then reduce the heat and slowly cook it until the meat is tender. Keep checking if there is enough liquid left on the meat, and add some more water if necessary.
- In the meantime, peel and dice the carrots. In an other pan, brown the onions and garlic taken from the marinating oil, add the carrots, and finally add the honey to caramelize the vegetables.
- Take 2 ladles of juice from the meat and add it to the vegetables, then add juniper berries and 1 Tbsp mustard. Keep adding extra juice from the meat to the vegetables, while replacing it with water on the meat.
- Once the meat is tender, take the pork medallions out to a plate. Pour all the meat juice over the vegetables and blend it with a hand mixer.
Instructions (Bread Dumplings)
- For the bread dumplings, dice the 2 baguettes. Using a non-stick large pan, brown the bread cubes on melted butter (in batches), and add some salt. Leave the bread cubes to cool.
- Using a large bowl, pour some milk over the bread cubes, add 2 eggs and some flour to get a not too sticky mixture. Form tomato-sized balls from the mixture with your moist palms.
- Boil water in a huge pot, and cook the dumplings in batches for 2-3 minutes. Turn them over halfway through the cooking time. Take the dumplings out, and leave them to dry on a plate.
- Serve the pork medallions with the juniper sauce, the dumplings and pickled gherkins.
Download PDF here: Hungarian Vadas (Pork Stew with Juniper Sauce) Dora Barta