Recipe by: Evania Marler
Source: Evania Marler
Guotie (Potstickers)/ Deep Fried Wontons / JiaoZi (Boiled Dumplings) / Siew Mai (Steamed Dumplings)with Ginger Vinegar Dipping Sauce
Ingredients (to make any 1 of the 4 dim sums)
- 1 packet Jiaozi skin
- 250 g ground pork or chicken
- 75 g carrot, finely chopped
- 200 g Chinese cabbage, (see photo) finely chopped
- 1 egg white
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing (Chinese cooking wine)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp white pepper, ground
- Vegetable oil – or
- 1 inch ginger root, thinly sliced (for the JiaoZi)
Ingredients (Dipping Sauce)
- 1 inch ginger, peeled & shredded
- 3 tablespoon Chinese black vinegar
- Scallions, chopped
Instructions (Making Dumplings)
- To make the dumpling, place 1 tablespoon of filling to the center of a wrapper, then wet its perimeter, and carefully fold edges in (see photo) to make a dumpling.
- Repeat until the filling or all wrappers are used up.
- Cook one of four ways as follows.
Cooking Guotie / Potstickers
- Choose a non-stick frying pan with a lid. Heat 2 tablespoon of oil in the pan.
- Fill the pan with dumplings. Cook until the bottom of the dumplings are golden brown, about 2-3 mins.
- Add ⅓ cup of water to the pan. Immediately close the pan with a lid, and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the cover, if there is still water remaining, cook only until all the water has evaporated. Otherwise, the dumplings are ready.
- Turn off heat, carefully remove them from the pan, and serve piping hot with dipping sauce.
Cooking Deep Fried Wontons
- Deep fry wontons in oil in a wok or skillet until browned.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towels to remove excess oil.
Cooking JiaoZi / Boiled Dumplings
- Bring 2 cups of chicken stock and 1 inch of ginger (cut to thin slices) to a boil.
- Add about 10 dumplings per batch and cook for 6-8 minutes until dumplings are fully cooked.
Cooking Siew Mai / Water Dumplings
- Place dumplings in a steamer (or over double boiler) and cover with lid.
- Steam for 10 mins until cooked through.
- To make dipping sauce, stir shredded ginger in with Chinese black vinegar.
- Serve any / all of the above with chopped scallions and dipping sauce.
Download PDF here: Chinese Dim Sum Four Ways Evania Marier