Recipe by: Lili Vidales
Source: Family recipe over the generations
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium white onion, thinly sliced into crescents
- 2 garlic cloves
- 3 large ripe tomatoes (sliced into crescents)
- 4 cups shredded cooked chicken
- ½ cup chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Tostadas and/or tortillas
- Sour cream
- Iceberg lettuce (or romaine), shredded
- Shredded cheese
- Refried beans
- Mexican chili sauce (optional)
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium to high heat. When hot, add garlic and onions. Saute 2-3 mins until softened.
- Remove the garlic and add the tomatoes. Stir for 3 mins.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add shredded chicken and chicken stock. Simmer uncovered until most of the liquid has evaporated, approximately 8-10 mins.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Instructions (Tostadas or Tacos)
- For tostadas : Take a tostada and spread a little bit of the refried beans on it. Top with the prepared tinga mixture, shredded lettuce, cheese and sour cream.
- For tacos: Take a tortilla, warm it on a pan for a few seconds and top with the prepared tinga mixture. Add refried beans, sour cream and shredded cheese.
Download PDF here: Lili Vidales Mexican Tinga de Pollo