Recipe by: Dewi Hackl
Source: Dewi Hackl
Ingredients (Coconut Topping)
- 1 ½ cup coconut milk
- ½ cup water
- Pandan leaf (see photo)
Ingredients (Black rice)
- 1 cup black glutinous rice, see photo (available at most grocery stores)
- 2 pandan leaves (see photo)
- 5 + 2 cups water
- Pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 small stick cinnamon
Instructions (Coconut Topping)
- Put coconut milk, water, pandan leaf, and a pinch of salt in a pan.
- Bring to a boil and cook for about 10 mins. Keep stirring while cooking.
- Set aside to cool.
Instructions (Black Rice)
- Soak rice overnight or at least 2 hours minimum.
- Wash and rinse the rice thoroughly. Drain.
- Put 5 cups of water, the 2 pandan leaves and the glutinous rice in to heavy large pan.
- Bring to boil and simmer over medium heat.
- Add salt, sugar and cinnamon stick.
- Continue to cook and cover the pan and reduce heat to low until most of the liquid has evaporated for approximately 2 – 2 ½ hours. Keep stirring time to time
- When the water is getting less and rice is getting thicker, gradually add the rest of the water.
- Cook until the rice is soft and creamy.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool.
- Serve warm or room temperature, or chill and serve cold.
- Top with coconut milk before serve.
Download PDF here: Indonesian Black Rice Pudding with Coconut Milk Dewi Hackl