Recipe by: Kristina Deeg
Source: Unknown, Found online years ago
Traditional dish from the South. Serve with Rice.
Ingredients (Homemade Cajun Spice)
- 2 bay leaves whole (take out at very end)
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp ground white pepper
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 okras, sliced thin
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ¾ cup oil
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 ½ Tbsp Cajun seasoning (see homemade recipe)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups seafood stock (= 6 cups water 1 ½ cube)
- 1 lb (450 g) spicy Italian sausage – Cold Storage (originally used Andouille sausage – not available in SG) sliced after cooked
- 1 lb (450 g) medium shrimp, shells removed and deveined
- ¾ cup crab meat
- 2-3 cups rice, cooked
TIP: You will need all ingredients prepared before you start as you will need them all nearby your pot (especially to make the roux). If using the spicy Italian sausage, you will need to poach it in boiling water for about a minute or 2 before you slice it.
- To make the roux, heat the oil in a large skillet until it starts to smoke (very hot).
- Slowly whisk in flour, stirring constantly for about 3 minutes until the color becomes a dark reddish brown.
- Quickly stir in half of the onions, bell peppers, okra, celery and garlic.
Download PDF here: Kristina Deeg American Gumbo