Recipe by: Tania Nicaise
Source: Adaptation of a “Sale & Pepe” magazine recipe (edition 08/2010)
- 320g pasta
- 500ml tomato sauce (made with 300g cherry tomatoes, salt, pepper, sugar, oil, 1 bottle passata salsa, 1 carrot, 1 celery, some onion, garlic, thyme)
- 1 red and 1 yellow capsicum
- 30g dill
- 1 clove garlic
- 30g blanched almonds
- Salt & pepper
- 8 tbsp olive oil
- Chilli powder/Cayenne Pepper
- Clean the capsicums, cut in 2 and grill in the oven until skin is dark. Put in a plastic bag (it will be easier to peel because of the steam formed inside the bag) and set aside while preparing the ingredients for the tomato sauce. Then remove the skin and chop roughly.
For the sauce:
- Half the cherry tomatoes, put cut-side up in a cooking pan to cook in the oven. Add some salt, pepper, sugar, olive oil and cook in the oven for 40 – 60 mins (temp 150°C max).
- Meanwhile, make the tomato sauce. Sauté the onions, celery, carrot, garlic in a pan with olive oil. Add the passata tomato sauce and thyme. Cook for 40 mins (slow heat).
- Mix the roasted cherry tomatoes and capsicum in 1/2 the sauce (save the other half for another time. Can freeze the rest or keep in the fridge for 3 days.)
For the pesto
- Combine almonds, dill and garlic in a food processor. Pulse until coarsely chopped. Add salt, pepper and a pinch of chilli powder and olive oil and process until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Cook the pasta al dente. Mix all the ingredients together.
Download PDF here: Penne tomato, capsicum, almond&dill pesto Tania recipe