Recipe by: Michelle Pilarczyk
Source: unknown (a canapé cookbook I had many years ago)
This recipe is tripled and should give you more than 100 rounds (they are tiny and go fast), great for parties and also stores very well in the fridge (use air tight containers) for a few days (just don’t assemble until ready to eat).
Ingredients (Pesto Parsley)
- 45 g parsley (leaves only)
- 65 g pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 75 g parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 180 g flour
- Salt, few pinches
- Cayenne pepper, few inches
- 135 g butter, cubed
- 180 g parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup chopped black olives (optional)
- 1 package fresh goats cheese (see photo)
Instructions (Parsley Pesto)
- Place parsley, pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, and 75 g parmesan cheese in a food processor (or blender). Pulse until it forms a thick paste.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Set aside
Instructions (Parmesan Shortbreads)
Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F)
- Place flour, a couple pinches of salt and cayenne pepper, butter and parmesan into a food processor (add black olives here if using). Pulse until you get a smooth dough.
- Roll out dough on a floured surface until you get ~ ½ cm thickness (or a bit thinner is fine).
- Stamp out rounds using a 1.5 cm round pastry cutter (see photo on first page).
- Bake until golden, about 8 mins.
- Let cool completely.
- Place a dollop of parsley pesto on each parmesan shortbread.
- Top with a little dollop of fresh goats cheese.
- Try not to eat too many shortbreads in the process of assembly (even the shortbreads are yummy on their own) J.