Recipe by: Kim Norman
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour, leveled
- ¼ cup packed light-brown sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp sugar
- 8 Tbsp (1 stick / 113 g) unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
- 1 cup rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
- 1.4 kg (3 pounds) apples (such as Empire, Gala, or Braeburn) peeled, cored, and cut into ½ – inch chunks
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 190 C (375 F).
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, brown sugar, salt, and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar.
- Cut butter into flour, using a pastry blender or two knives, until mixture is the texture of coarse meal.
- Add oats, and use your hands to toss and squeeze mixture until large, moist clumps form.
- Transfer to freezer to chill while you prepare apples.
- In another large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice, cinnamon, and remaining 1/2 cup granulated sugar.
- Transfer to a shallow 2-quart baking dish, and sprinkle with topping mixture.
- Place baking dish on a rimmed baking sheet, and bake until golden and bubbling, 55 to 65 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream.
Download PDF here: Kim Norman N. American Easy Apple Crisp