Recipe by: Kim Norman
- 1 ½ pounds small yukon gold potatoes (about 1 ½ to 2 inches in diameter), halved
- 1 ½ pounds small red potatoes (about 1 ½ to 2 inches in diameter), halved
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed juice (from 2 to 3 lemons, plus more to taste)
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped shallots (about 2 medium)
- 4 tsp finely minced fresh thyme leaves
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Grill heat: Medium – high or oven preheated at 180 C (360 F).
- Tear off four 18-inch square pieces of heavy duty aluminum foil.
- In a large bowl, combine potatoes, oil, lemon juice, shallots, and thyme.
- Season with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
- Divide into four even batches, placing each batch in the center of one square of foil.
- Crimp foil closed, rolling sides to fully seal each packet.
- Set half the burners of a gas grill to high heat.
- Set cooking grate in place, cover gill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes.
- Clean and oil grilling grate.
- Place packets on grill, aligning them close to, but not directly over the coals.
- Cover and cook for 10 minutes.
- Rotate packets front to back (so cooler side is now closer to coals), cover, and continue cooking for 10 minutes longer.
- Move packets directly over coals, cover, and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Remove from grill and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Carefully open packets, season with additional salt, pepper, and lemon juice to taste.
- Serve immediately.
- For oven, put packs in oven for 30 mins (flip over after 15 mins).
Download PDF here: Kim Norman Grilled Foil Wrapped Potatoes with Shallots Lemon and Thyme