Recipe by: Michelle Pilarczyk
Source: Adapted from Jamie Oliver website
- 3 corn cobs
- 2-3 Tbsp olive oil, extra virgin, extra to drizzle
- 1 red onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 large bunch of coriander, leaves picked and stalks finely chopped
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2-3 fresh red chilies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely sliced
- 300 g frozen peas, thawed
- 220 g quinoa
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 limes, the zest and juice of
- 200 g feta
- Hot chili sauce, to taste (optional)
- Stand one corn cob upright in the middle of a bowl. Slice off the kernels. Repeat with other two cobs.
- Transfer to a blender with 125ml of water and blitz to a loose paste.
- Pour oil into a medium non-stick pan and fry the onion and coriander stalks over a low-medium heat for 5-10 minutes until softened.
- Add the cumin, chilies and garlic and fry for 1–2 minutes.
- Add the blitzed corn to the pan and cook gently for 5–7 mins, until just simmering but not colored.
- Season well, spoon the mixture into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Steam the peas over boiling water (double boiler), lid on, for a couple of minutes (or just boil).
- Drain, and submerge immediately into ice water to keep green color. Set aside.
- Cook the quinoa according to packet instructions, with salt. Drain any extra water.
- While it’s still hot, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil.
- Squeeze over the juice from the limes and add the zest.
- Add the peas, toss well and leave to cool.
- Once cooled, chop the coriander leaves and stir through, along with the corn mixture.
- Spread the salad over a plate and leave to one side.
- Put the whole block of feta, brine and all, into a small non-stick frying pan.
- Drizzle with olive oil and add a splash of chili sauce (optional),.
- Bring to the boil, then cook over a high heat until the feta is lightly golden.
- (Note, I never was able to get my feta to turn golden, but it still tasted nice heated up like this).
- Gently turn over and cook for a few more minutes on the other side.
- Instructions (Assembly)
- Crumble the feta with your hands or fork, and add to the salad.
- Drizzle over any leftover dressing from the pan.
- Scatter over the reserved coriander leaves.
Download PDF here: Michelle Pilarczyk Quinoa, Corn, Feta and Pea Salad