Recipe by: Jas Schaap
*Can be adapted to vegetarian
- 1 Tbls butter
- 5-6 fist-sized aubergines
- 3 Tbls olive oil
- ½ onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 400 g of minced beef or lamb (optional)
- ½ red pepper, diced
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp Pimentón dulce (Spanish paprika)
- 1 tin chopped tomato
- 50 g parmesan cheese, grated
- 50 g cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 200 °C
- Smooth butter onto the skin of the aubergine so as not to allow the skin to burn. Place in oven for 30 mins and cook whole.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 Tbls of oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Add the onion, garlic, red pepper and spices (cumin, cinnamon, nutmeg, paprika).
- (For the meat version: add meat in batches, cook gently for 10 minutes on a low heat.)
- Stir in the tomato and simmer for 15 minutes to reduce.
- Remove the aubergines from the oven and slice in half lengthways. Carefully scoop out the flesh, leaving the skins intact like shells ready to refill.
- Stir the scooped-out flesh into the tomato (meat) mixture with half a teaspoon of salt and pepper to taste cook and reduce further until it resembles a paste.
- Spoon the mixture into each aubergine shell and sprinkle with cheese. Bake under high heat grill for 8–10 minutes until cheese melts and turns golden brown.
Download PDF here: Jas Schaap Spanish Berenjenas Rellenas (Stuffed Aubergines)