Recipe by: Veena Poojari
Source: Veena Poojari
- 500 g lamb
- 2 onions, chopped
- 1- 1 ½ tomatoes, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ inch piece ginger, crushed (optional)
- Optional spices (individual choice)
- 2 bay leaf
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon (or 1 stick)
- 1 piece nutmeg
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp Harissa
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 2 apricots
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- Coriander leaves
- Sliced carrots around the sides
- Optional additions (regional specialities)
- olives, apricots, chillies, prunes, saffron. honey, orange zest
- Oil the base of the tajine*. Can use a wok with lid if you don’t have a tagine, but won’t be exactly the same flavour.
- Line it with onions, garlic and ginger, bay leaf, cinnamon and nutmeg. Let the onion fry to pink, stirring occasionally.
- Add the meat, salt, and the turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Cook for 10-15 mins, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes, cover, and cook on low flame for 45 min – 2 hours, depending on the meat.
- Before serving, add apricots, nuts and regional specialities to flavour the meat as per choice.
* A tajine is a N. African terra cotta cone shaped pot, that can go from stove top to oven. It has a hole at the top to let the steam escape. The earthen pot gives an earthy flavor to the dish. They can be found in many stores in Little India. Non terra cotta versions (like black one in the bottom photos) can be found in Takashimaya.
Download PDF here:Veena Poojari Moroccan Lamb Tajine