Recipe by: Briony Blohm
For the Meringues
- 3 large egg whites
- 175 g caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
Make these the night before as they need to be left to cool in the oven for at least 4 hours after cooking.
- Heat the oven to 140 C and line two baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Place the egg whites and a pinch of salt in the bowl of an electric mixer with a whisk attachment, or use an electric whisk.
- Whisk on a slow speed for 1 minute, then increase the speed to medium and whisk for another 2-3 minutes, or until the egg whites form stiff peaks. If you lift the whisk attachment out of the bowl, the mixture should look fluffy and cling to them, while the peaks remain stiff and moist-looking. This will take longer if doing by hand or using a hand held mixer.
- Then, while continuing to whisk, gradually add the sugar a tablespoon at a time, until the mixture is stiff and glossy – this may take 5-10 minutes.
- Using a large, metal spoon, place freeform shapes on to the prepared baking trays.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until the meringues are pale and dry.
- Turn off the oven and allow the meringues to cool overnight.
For the rest of the Eaton Mess
- 2 baskets of strawberries, green tops removed
- 1 basket of raspberries
- 1 baskets of blueberries
- 1 large carton of double cream
- Chop one of the baskets of strawberries into pieces.
- Mix with the sugar and place in a saucepan and cook for a few minutes until sauce-like.
- Place a sieve over a bowl and strain the strawberries through the sieve with the use of a metal spoon to remove all seeds. This is the strawberry puree.
- To make the strawberry coulis: Whip the double cream (or thick cream) with an electric whisk until it is fairly stiff. Stir in the strawberries coulis (puree).
- Break up the meringues and mix the remaining basket of strawberries, the raspberries, and the blueberries with the strawberry coulis.
- Stir together and serve immediately. (Do not mix before you are ready to eat because otherwise the meringues will dissolve into the cream and you won’t get the crunchy texture of the meringues.)
Download PDF here: Briony Blohm Eton Mess (Berry Pudding)