Recipe by: Julie Knox
Serves: 8 – 10 as small soup portions
- 500 g pinto beans (sort, rinse, and discard “floaters’)
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- Bunch of coriander, chop stalks and leaves
- 1 serrano chili
- 4 tomatoes, chopped
- 150 g bacon, chopped and half-cooked
- Soak the beans overnight (you can also soak in hot water for 1 hour).
- Put all the ingredients in a pan with 1 litre water.
- Cook until the beans are soft (2-3 hours). You can also use a slow cooker (12 hours) or a pressure cooker (1 hour).
- Add more onion, coriander, tomato and chili for a “fresh taste”.
- Add salt only once beans are cooked (otherwise beans will be hard!).