Recipe by: Tanushree Mathur
Serves: 5- 6
Special Equipment: Pressure Cooker
- ½ kg lamb with bone
- 3 large onions, sliced finely
- A piece of muslin cloth for bouquet garni
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 green cardamoms
- 2 black cardamoms
- 4 cloves
- 10-12 black pepper seeds
- 1 Tbls cumin
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 dry red chili
- 1 Tbls coriander powder or seeds
- 1 inch piece ginger, grated
- 4 flakes garlic grated
- 2 cups rice, soaked
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- Fried onions to garnish
- Salt to taste
- 1-2 Tbls ghee (Indian clarified butter) – see photo
- Wash lamb thoroughly and put it in the pressure cooker with onions, salt and 4 cups water.
- Prepare the bouquet garni and tie tightly with a string. Add it to the pressure cooker.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on a slow fire for 20 mins. The cooking time depends on the cut of lamb.
- Open the cooker once the pressure is released.
- Check that the meat is done. Cook for some more time, if required.
- Cool the mixture.
- Squeeze the bouquet garni to extract all the juices.
- In another large pan or rice cooker, heat ghee and sauté́ cumin till fragrant.
- Drain the water from the rice and add to the cumin. Stir and add the lamb with yakhni (gravy). The yakhni should be approximately 6 cups. Add water, if required.
- Cover and cook until the rice is done.
- Garnish with fried onions.
- Serve hot with raita.
Download PDF here: Tanushree Lamb Yakhni Pulao