Recipe by: Jane Wu
Source: Family recipe (Jane Wu’s mother and 6 aunts taught her)
Serve with Steamed Rice
- 2 pieces white fish fillets
- 4 Tbls cornstarch
- 1 tsp salt
- 6 Tbls vegetable oil
- 2 Tbls whole red peppercorn / seed
- 8 dried red chilies
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 inches ginger root, julienned
- 4 Tbls hot pot paste (see photo)
- 6 cups water
- 1 box pressed tofu (see photo)
- ½ napa cabbage
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts (extra for garnish)
- 2 Tbls Taiwanese chili soybean paste
- 2-3 chopped scallions (spring onions), extra for garnish
- fresh red chili, chopped, for garnish
- Marinate the fish fillet with the cornstarch and salt. Cover and let sit at least 30 min.
- Add the oil, peppercorns, red chilies, garlic, ginger and hot pot paste to a skillet. Stir until the spicy smell comes out.
- Add the water and bring to a boil.
- Add the tofu, cabbage and bean sprouts. Simmer for 10 mins.
- Add the chili soy bean paste and the fish fillets. Wait for it to start to boil again, then turn off the gas. Let sit for 5 mins so fish cooks.
- Add extra bean sprouts, scallions, and fresh red chilies for garnish.
- Serve with rice. Do not eat the peppercorns, push to the side.
Download PDF here: Jane Wu_s Boiled Fish Fillet Recipe