Recipe by Michelle Pilarczyk
Serves 8 – 10
Serve with Tomato Salad and Pita Bread
- 1 x 2kg chicken – cut into 8 pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 8 black peppercorns
- 1 tbsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 sprigs parsley
- 3 tbsp walnut oil
- 2 tsp good paprika
- 140g French Bread (8 slices), remove crusts (will then be 70g)
- 1-2 cups whole milk (enough to cover bread)
- 340g walnuts (about 3 cups)
- 1 1/2 tbsp minced garlic (about 4-5 cloves)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tbsp minced onion
- 1 tbsp plus 2 tsp good paprika
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Walnut halves
- Rinse the chicken pieces and pat dry. Reserve.
- Put 6 cups (1.4L) water into a pot with the onion, carrots, peppercorns, salt, bay leaves and parsley. Bring to a boil then let simmer for 20 mins.
- Add the chicken pieces (and more water to ensure chicken is covered) and simmer in the broth for a further 20 mins. Let cool in the cooking liquid.
- Remove pieces from the pot. Remove the skin and bone and discard. Pull the meat apart into bite size pieces. Strain the chicken stock and reserve. Discard vegetables.
- Meanwhile, infuse the walnut oil with paprika by heating in a skillet until warm, and stirring in the paprika. Leave this mixture on a warm spot on the stove.
- To make the walnut sauce, soak the bread in some milk (enough to cover the bread) until soft (10-15 mins should suffice). Then squeeze it dry and set aside.
- Grind the walnuts in a food processor or blender until fine. Put them in a large bowl. Crumble in the bread. Stir in the garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, salt and 2 cups of the strained chicken stock. Pour back into the food processor / blender. Mix and process (in batches if necessary) to make a smooth sauce. Adjust taste with salt. Add a little more chicken stock if necessary to make a thick pouring consistency.
- Mix half the sauce with the chicken pieces. Arrange the mixture on a serving platter and pour the remaining walnut sauce over it.
- Pour the paprika-infused oil over the dish. Garnish with walnut haves and parsley leaves
- Serve cold or at room temperature. It will keep several days in the refrigerator.
Download PDF here: Turkish Circassian Chicken with Paprika Walnut Sauce